EXAM BOARD: EDEXCEL (9PY0)
COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Please follow the link below where you can find our current entry requirements for this course:
OVERVIEW OF COURSE CONTENT
The study of photography will enhance your understanding of the visual world across different times and cultures and introduce you to the diverse roles and functions that photography has in contemporary life. A foundation in this subject can lead to a wide range of career opportunities in the creative industries. You will learn:
- the principles of digital photography
- viewpoint, lighting, composition, focus, aperture, shutter speed, exposure
- how to take images and manipulate them in Photoshop
- how famous photographers create work – and how to create your own work taking inspiration from their style and techniques
- how to develop an idea from its initial starting point through experimentation to a final outcome
Employers are always looking for creative thinkers and the skills learned in photography give students with the ability to innovate, see and make connections. Students learn how to solve problems and make informed decisions and judgements.
Students are expected to spend a minimum of 6 – 8 hours per week on homework in addition to taught lessons. Taking images in a variety of locations will enable students to prepare a strong portfolio of work. A visit to a gallery will be arranged and students are strongly encouraged to visit a wide range of galleries outside of school.
Key features of the course
Students build up a solid foundation of skills in Adobe Photoshop and learn how to use the full range of settings on a digital SLR camera.
Students need to have their own digital SLR camera (a basic model is sufficient) in order to take photographs outside of the classroom, however access to tripods, lights and quality colour printers will be provided.
FUTURE COURSE PATHWAYS
Possible career options include progression to University, Apprenticeship or the world of work.
Related industries include:
- Freelance Photography/Photojournalism
- Graphic Design
- Film & Television Production
- Fine Art, Marketing
- News and Digital Media
- Game Design and Web Design
- The study and creation of imagery will teach you how to be critical about the world around you
- To be informed and develop an ability to explain yourself
- Learn to work independently on your own personal targets
- Build confidence within yourself
- Improve your critical awareness
- Photography also allows you to explore ideas and how others might interpret them