BTec APPLIED SCIENCE
Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Science
COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Please follow the link below where you can find our current entry requirements for this course:Entry requirements
OVERVIEW OF COURSE
This course is for anyone who sees their future career in Science. The Level 3 Applied Science is an excellent starting point. It covers a wide range of topics across biology, chemistry and physics and will allow you to acquire a high level of practical laboratory skills from which the theory is then drawn.
This is a demanding two-year course, equivalent to an A-level, and providing an important part of an individual’s sixth-form study, blending together a mix of theoretical and practical topics in a well-resourced environment,
The applied learning course emphasises developing scientific skills through project-based activities and assessment. All three of the main scientific disciplines are included in the modules studied:
- Principles and Applications of Science I (Exam unit)
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills (Exam unit)
- Electrical circuits
Taught by subject specialists, with developing laboratory experience, you will learn by completing laboratory-based practical assignments, supported self-study assignments, presentations and discussions that are based on real workplace situations, activities and demands.
This course is designed to support progression into university and higher education degree courses or into job roles and higher-level apprenticeships in industry, the health service and scientific laboratory work.
Students may progress to university on a variety of degrees including Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, Clinical Science, Life Science, Medicine, Pharmaceutical Science and Physics. Alternatively, for those students not wishing to progress to university, alternative pathways may lead to employment or higher level apprenticeships.
- Organisation and time management skills through consistently working to deadlines
- Professional working practice, including personal development
- Extensive practical laboratory experience
- Self-evaluative and reflective skills
- A working knowledge of a wide range of Scientific subjects
- Numeracy & literacy skills
- Confident computer skills